Learn How to Make Clean Cannabutter with JeffThe420Chef
When I started cooking with cannabis five years ago, I realized that there are three challenges everyone faces when making edibles: the herbaceous taste, proper dosing and knowing how an edible will make you feel. All challenges that I became obsessed with solving. Thankfully, after about 18 months of tinkering, lab testing and sampling, I came up with the process to make “Light Tasting”, strain specific, easily dosed cannabutter and cannaoil. Your cannabutter and cannaoil will be virtually tasteless if you follow the process properly.
Clean Your Cannabis before Cooking
The root of the process is something we should all be doing with our cannabis, CLEAN IT! Just as we do with any other fruit, vegetable or herb. Common wisdom has always been to “never” get your cannabis wet, but that is precisely what you need to do in order to properly clean your bud. The best part is that you can easily do it yourself at home.
Choose a strain of cannabis that you like and that you know works for you. If you’re not sure, and this is your first time, ask your Aphria Patient Care Representative to suggest a strain that will impart the effects you are looking for. Make sure you note the percentage of THC in the strain you choose to use. This is important information that you will need to calculate the potency of your finished cannabutter or canna-oil.
Set Yourself Up For Success
To make one stick of butter or 4 oz of oil I suggest starting with 7 grams of raw cannabis. Make sure you note the percentage of THC in the strain you choose to use. This is important information that you will need to calculate the potency of your finished cannabutter or cannaoil.
To yield 1 stick of butter you will need to use 1⅓ stick of butter to make up for the lost volume of water and milk solids through the process.
Next you will need to have a French press (any size will work as long as it’s large enough to accommodate soaking your herb), a gallon of Distilled Water, a large tea strainer, a pot for boiling water, a bowl of ice water, a flat sheet pan or Pyrex dish, an oven (or toaster oven) and a heat resistant container to store your butter or oil in.
Follow These Steps for the Perfect Cannabutter
Steps 1 and 2: CLEAN YOUR BUD
- Break apart cannabis and place bud pieces and stems into a french press
- Soak cannabis for 2-3 days, changing the water about 12 every hours until the water runs clear
Step 3: BLANCH YOUR BUD
- When water runs clear, transfer the cannabis from the french press into a tea strainer
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and prepare of bowl of ice water
- Immerse the tea strainer into the boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes
- Immediately remove the tea strainer after 5 minutes and immerse in the ice water for 1 minute. This stops the cleaning process and shocks the cannabis back to reality. It will also cool the cannabis enough for the next step.
Step 4: DRY AND DECARB YOUR BUD
- Preheat your oven to 240ºF
- Squeeze out all of the water from the cooled cannabis
- Break apart the sticky bud ball into an oven safe dish or pan
- Cover tightly with foil. This is the one step that might infuse your kitchen or home briefly with smell of cannabis (Tips: covering tightly with aluminum foil will significantly reduce the odor)
- Place in oven to dry and decarb for 1 hour. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes after you remove it from the oven so any steam floating around can settle and dissipate
- Remove the foil and insure that your bud is COMPLETELY DRY! If there is any leftover moisture, it will impart moisture and an herbaceous taste into your butter or oil
- If your bud is not completely dry after you remove it from the oven, cover it loosely with paper towel and let it sit overnight. It should be completely dry by the morning
Note: When your dried and decarbed bud is completely dry, weigh it. You will notice that what was once 7 grams of cannabis is now more like 3, 4 or 5 grams. Your difference between your starting weight and the final weight will vary based on how moist or dry your cannabis was when you started. Write down the final weight, you will need this to calculate the potency of your cannabutter or cannaoil. To easily calculate the approximate potency of your butter or oil, including the potency per serving, visit www.JeffThe420Chef.com/calculator.
Step 5: INFUSE
Choose the fat you want to infuse. Any high fat butter or oil will work. I suggest grass-fed butter or a healthy high fat oil such as coconut or olive.
- Place dried and decarbed cannabis back into a clean french press and add your fat. If you are using butter or a solid oil such as coconut oil, melt it before adding the cannabis.
- Bring the plunger down to the top of the oil line
- Immerse the French press in a pot of water and bring the water to slow boil
- Let cannabis steep in butter for 3 hours or oil for 4 hours
When steeping is complete, press plunger down all the way and pout into your heat resistant storage container and refrigerate. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 months
Note: If you are making butter, there may be residual moisture from the butter once it has re-solidified. To remove the moisture, turn the re-solidified butter out onto a plate and dab the extra moisture with a paper towel. Re-refrigerate.
Combining his love for cooking with his passion for helping individuals, JeffThe420Chef was born. With his cannabis infused cooking, JeffThe420Chef is dedicated to help individuals who are sick or in pain. Jeff, like many individuals today sought a second career in legal marijuana and focuses on cooking with medical cannabis strains.
Photo Credit: Mathew Masin